The following materials are included with the sixth grade package:
- Grade 6 Ancient Civilizations Coursebook
- Grade 6 English Coursebook
- Grade 6 Basic Life Science
- Grade 6 Math Coursebook
- Grade 6 Math Workbook (Answer key in the back)
- Grade 6 Teacher Manual: Ancient Civilizations
- Grade 6 Teacher Manual: English
- Grade 6 Teacher Manual: Basic Life Science.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
- Rainbow People
- Maroo of the Winter Caves
- The Golden Bull: A Mesopotamian Adventure
- Once There Was, Twice There Wasn't: Fifty Turkish Folktales of Nasreddin Hodja
- The Eagle of the Ninth
- 1001 Inventions and Awesome Facts from Muslim Civilization
- Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
- The Shakespeare Stealer
- The Ugly One
Please note the sixth grade craft kit is not included in this package and must be purchased separately.
Grade Level Overview
View samples of our Grade 6 curriculum here.
In English, grammar lessons and activities are woven into writing assignments and students expand their vocabulary and composition skills. Written work includes expository writing, citations, poetry, descriptive writing, and short stories. Students explore new ways to express themselves with clarity and personal style.
Oak Meadow’s sixth grade social studies curriculum focuses on ancient world civilizations, and provides the foundation for an integrated experience that weaves together the history, geography, literature, government, and art of ancient cultures. Students engage in critical and independent thinking by exploring opposing viewpoints and writing from the perspective of different cultures and time periods. Art explorations include sculpture, drawing, calligraphy, mosaics, marbling, costume making, and mask making.
In life science, students study plant cell division and reproduction, plant classification systems, invertebrates and vertebrates, animal life cycles, ecosystems, and the human body. Emphasis is placed on using the scientific method to help students analyze their findings and to make connections between the overarching themes of the course. Students develop skills in objective observation and accurate recording of data.
Sixth grade math provides a rigorous course of math skills and concepts. Building on previous knowledge, the coursebook includes step-by-step explanations and examples designed to support the independent learner. The accompanying math workbook includes all the practice worksheets and tests. Regular mental math warm-up exercises help students develop a facility and flexibility with numbers. A wide variety of extra practice worksheets are included in the appendix of the math workbook, organized by skill to maximize study time and allow families to customize their learning experience. Skills include converting between percentages, fractions, and decimals; perimeter, radius, diameter, and area; area of irregular shapes; equations with missing numbers; factors and prime numbers; and order of operations.
Projects, crafts, and activities throughout the year include:
- Write a research paper on Ancient Egypt
- Draw a freehand map of the world
- Interview a person from the Stone Age
- Compose an adventure for Robin Hood
- Make a miniature Renaissance fresco
- Make up math problems using the Mayan number system
- Research carnivorous plants
- Dissect flowers
- Grade: Sixth Grade
- Format: Product bundle
- Weight: 17.0 lbs