This course develops a foundation in anatomy and physiology. It emphasizes critical thinking skills necessary for discernment regarding to the various, and often conflicting, information presented in the media. The coursebook incorporates cutting-edge research in health science, and includes a fitness component that fulfills one-half of the Oak Meadow physical education requirement. This comprehensive and pioneering course includes chapters on nutrition, wellness, disease prevention, substance use, sexuality, aging, healing, and alternative therapies. The projects and activities are personal, creative, and meaningful to the high school student.
View samples of our high school curriculum here.
Course Length: Full year
Grade Level: 9, 10, 11, 12
Additional Materials Required
The following books are used in conjunction with this coursebook (included in the course package):
- Health: Making Life Choices by Glencoe McGraw-Hill, 2010
- Human Anatomy Coloring Book, by Margaret Matt, 1982
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John J. Ratey, M.D., 2008
- In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan, 2009
High School Teacher Manuals are available only for families who use our curriculum independently (non-enrolled). Enrolled students and families should contact their Oak Meadow teacher directly for questions regarding course work.
- Publisher: Oak Meadow, Inc.
- Publication date: August 2019
- Pages: 226
- Binding: Spiral bound
- Product dimensions: 8.5 x 11 inches