Over the course of 36 lessons, students learn the fundamentals of drawing and design. Beginning with gestural drawings to establish a sense of form, students proceed to contour drawing and learn techniques for adding depth and complexity to their artwork. The principles of design are studied and students learn to create a balanced composition. Still life, portrait, and landscape drawings are explored in detail as students develop their artistic abilities, and learn to think and see like an artist.
Required for use with this coursebook (included in Drawing and Design Course Package):
- The Art of Seeing (Prentice Hall) 9780205748341
Art supplies needed for this course (not included):
- drawing pencils (any type; ebony pencils are excellent)
- drawing paper, two sizes, notebook size and larger
- watercolor paper or a textured paper
- kneaded eraser
- charcoal sticks or pencils
- black, white, and gray construction paper
- color pencils
- soft pastels (any number of colors)
- oil pastels (any number of colors)
- painter's tape
- watercolors (optional)
View samples of our high school curriculum here.