- American Literature: The Westward Journey Coursebook
- My First Summer in the Sierra by John Muir
- River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit
- My Ántonia by Willa Cather
- Sacajawea by Joseph Bruchac
- American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings by Zitkala-Ša
Additional Materials Recommended
The following materials are recommended for use with this coursebook (NOT included in course package):
This American Literature course explores how the United States developed its shape and character throughout the 19th century by way of the movement called the Westward Expansion. By reading and reflecting on the words, artwork, and novels that contain their stories, students will gain an understanding of the authentic experiences and perspectives of those who immigrated to the region, those whose families had lived on the land for generations, and those whose ancestors had been there for millennia. Students will develop insight into how people influence the land and how the land influences people.
Course Length: One Semester
Grade Level: 11, 12
View samples of our high school curriculum here. You can also read Cathy Duffy's review of this course here.
- Grade: High School
- Format: Product bundle
- Weight: 3.4 lbs