The following resources are included with the Fourth Grade package:
- Grade 4 Coursebook
- Grade 4 Teacher Manual.
- Grade 4 Math
- Book of Recorder Duets: is intended for students who have made their way through Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Recorder from Oak Meadow, or who have some experience at holding the recorder, fingering, and reading sheet music. Families needing a different level recorder book may request a substitution at checkout, by adding a note to the Shipping Instructions field.
- Native Legends
- The Search for Delicious
- Rachel’s Journal
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- The Trumpet of the Swan
- Stuart Little
- Treasury for Children
- The Vanderbeekers of 141st St
- My Side of the Mountain
- The Turtle of Oman
Additional Materials Needed
- Please note the fourth-grade craft kit is NOT included in this package (sold separately).
- The recorders, which are used in the music curriculum, are included in the craft kit or can be purchased individually.
- Jeweler’s Loupes are no longer included in this package.
Grade Level Overview
Oak Meadow’s Fourth Grade curriculum reflects the awakening intellect and independence of fourth graders. Language Arts assignments in poetry, journal writing, and short story writing tap into the student’s awareness of self, which is expanded through the study of classic children’s literature. Lessons in basic grammar, parts of speech, and paragraph construction are reinforced with regular creative and expository writing assignments.
In Social Studies, the fourth grader’s independence is reflected in a study of westward expansion and frontier life. Critical thinking and research skills are introduced and reinforced in several full-length projects on various topics of the student’s choice.
Through geometric patterns in nature, a sense of wonder and reverence defines and shapes science explorations. Students study basic life science, animal behavior, and astronomy through close observation and investigative activities.
Artistic expression is explored through an intensive study of perspective drawing and students have many opportunities to apply their drawing skills in assignments across the subjects. Students are encouraged to continue playing a musical instrument and Oak Meadow’s Recorder Duets is offered for students who are interested in developing their recorder skills.
The Math 4 curriculum expands the skills of multiplication and division, and features a comprehensive and creative introduction to fractions and long division. Math games, geometric patterns, rounding and estimating, and story problems provide a solid foundation for advanced math skills.
View samples of our Grade 4 curriculum here.
Projects, crafts, and activities through the year include:
- Write postcards from Stuart Little
- Make a miniature canoe
- Recite poetry
- Make a covered wagon
- Create a pictorial timeline of the American frontier
- Make a star box
- Make a mobile of the solar system
- Grade: Fourth Grade
- Format: Product bundle
- Weight: 13.0 lbs