The following resources are included with the Grade 2 + K-3 Essentials Package:
- Grade 2 Coursebook
- Grade 2 Resource Book
- Intermediate Recorder Songbook: builds upon the foundation of recorder playing that was introduced in Grade 1. Families needing a different level recorder book may request a substitution at checkout, by adding a note to the Shipping Instructions field.
- Tuck Me In Tales & Other Stories
- Just So Stories
- Ben & Meg
- Old Mother West Wind
- Four Fun Friends
- Heart of Learning: provides important support and guidance for the homeschooling parent through a series of essays on the educational philosophy and learning principles behind the early grades of Oak Meadow. It includes information on child development as well as suggestions on how to develop your skills as a home teacher.
- OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades: includes practical information on how to present the lesson material, as well as an extensive collection of songs, poems, and action verses that you'll be using through the early grades.
- OM Crafts for the Early Grades: includes all the instructions for crafts and projects.
- OM Circle Time CD: provides musical inspiration for your circle time, and includes all the songs listed in the OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades
- Healthy Living from the Start: offers a wide range of activities around health-related topics. Each lesson includes a set of activities to choose from for each grade level, making it easy to use with children of different ages.
Please note that The Heart of Learning, OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades, OM Crafts for the Early Grades, OM Circle Time CD, and Healthy Living From the Start are used through grades K-3. These items are sold separately as they only need to be purchased once. The recorders, which are used in the music curriculum, are included in the craft kit (sold separately) or can be purchased individually.
Grade Level Overview
View a sample of our Grade 2 curriculum here.
Oak Meadow’s Grade 2 curriculum expands on your child’s natural intelligence and growing confidence as a reader and writer. Reading emerges from writing, and observations of animals and nature become the subject of poems, writing, and stories. The rhythmic nature of rhyming poems becomes a natural and playful means of working with phonetic letter sounds as students develop their independent reading skills.
In Social Studies, students continue to develop their understanding of history, geography, economics, and civics. Fables and folktales provide the backdrop for learning about ancient cultures, and universal human themes. Students explore the themes of good citizenship by learning about the lives of inspiring individuals.
In Math, the second grader’s growing understanding of mathematics and confidence in manipulating numbers leads to work with the multiplication tables and gaining skill with the four processes.
In Science, students continue to develop their observation skills as they explore the world of animals. Themes such as interdependence, natural rhythms, and classification provide the foundation for close-up investigations into the plant and animal kingdoms.
Through hands-on and investigative activities in Art, Crafts, Music, and Health, students engage in explorations of color and craft, develop their recorder playing skills, and conduct inquiries into topics related to their healthy development.
Projects, crafts, and activities through the year include:
- Copy and illustrate poems
- Make books
- Perform puppet plays
- Grow an indoor plant
- Make an ancient mask
- Create a doll