This course develops a foundation in anatomy and physiology. It emphasizes critical thinking skills necessary for discernment regarding various and often conflicting information presented in the media. The course incorporates cutting edge research in health science and includes a fitness component that fulfills one-half of the Oak Meadow physical education requirement. This comprehensive and pioneering course includes chapters on nutrition, wellness, disease prevention, substance use, sexuality, aging, healing, and alternative therapies. The course projects and activities are personal, creative, and meaningful to the high school student.
Included in the Health and Fitness course package:
- Oak Meadow Integrated Health and Fitness Coursebook
- Health: Making Life Choices by Glencoe McGraw-Hill, 2010
- Human Anatomy Coloring Book, by Margaret Matt, 1982
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John J. Ratey, M.D., 2008
- In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan, 2009
View samples of our high school curriculum here.
High School Teacher Manuals are available only for families who use our curriculum independently (non-enrolled). Enrolled students and families should contact their Oak Meadow teacher directly for questions regarding course work.