The following resources are included with the Grade 1 + K-3 Enrichment Package:
- Grade 1 Coursebook
- Grade 1 Resource Book
- The Heart of Learning
- OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades
- OM Crafts for the Early Grades
- OM Circle Time CD
- Healthy Living from the Start
- Beginning Recorder
- Word Families
- Charlie the Ranch Dog: Charlie's Snow Day
- Charlie the Ranch Dog: Stuck in the Mud
- Charlie the Ranch Dog: Charlie's New Friend
- Frog & Toad Are Friends
- Frog & Toad Together
- Mouse Soup
- Mouse Tales
- Heart of Learning: provides important support and guidance for the homeschooling parent through a series of essays on the educational philosophy and learning principles behind the early grades of Oak Meadow. It includes information on child development as well as suggestions on how to develop your skills as a home teacher.
- OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades: includes practical information on how to present the lesson material, as well as an extensive collection of songs, poems, and action verses that you'll be using through the early grades.
- OM Crafts for the Early Grades: includes all the instructions for crafts and projects.
- OM Circle Time CD: provides musical inspiration for your circle time, and includes all the songs listed in the OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades
- Healthy Living from the Start: offers a wide range of activities around health-related topics. Each lesson includes a set of activities to choose from for each grade level, making it easy to use with children of different ages.
Please note that The Heart of Learning, OM Guide to Teaching the Early Grades, OM Crafts for the Early Grades, OM Circle Time CD, and Healthy Living From the Start are used through grades K-3. These items only need to be purchased once. The recorders, which are used in the music curriculum, are included in the craft kit (sold separately) or can be purchased individually.
Oak Meadow’s lively and engaging Grade 1 curriculum will help you guide your child toward solid reading and math skills while encouraging an active, inquisitive mind. Literacy skills are developed through a language-rich curriculum that focuses on stories, poems, and songs. Students progress through learning how to print upper- and lower-case letters to a study of word families and consonant blends. The imagination is sparked through fairy tales, nature stories, and traditional verses as your child develops the necessary skills and confidence to read independently.
In Social Studies, students begin to develop a sense of time and place as they encounter classic tales, make their own calendars, learn to use a compass, and draw maps of their neighborhoods. Multicultural awareness is explored through community connections and a developing sense of good citizenship.
In the Math curriculum, stories are integrated into the study of numbers, and objects from nature collected on a walk become part of learning the four mathematical processes. Students also explore sequences, patterns, counting money, and geometric shapes.
Science, Arts & Crafts, Music, and Health round out the Grade 1 experience. Each week students engage in observations of the natural world, express themselves through painting and crafts, develop their recorder playing skills, and conduct inquiries into topics related to their healthy development.
View a sample of our Grade 1 curriculum here.
Projects, crafts, and activities through the year include:
- Make a book of stories with summaries and illustrations
- Create your own store and marketplace
- Make a Native American teepee
- Make a weather vane
- Identify animal tracks
- Learn to knit
- Build a birdhouse