View samples of our Grade 5 curriculum here.
In English and Social Studies, we combine geography, literature, and early American history to create an experience that challenges students to draw parallels across subjects. Studying the biographies of famous Americans prompts students to formulate their own opinions, make inquiries, explore, and experiment. Students write book reports and do research, concentrating on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and the parts of speech.
A weekly planner and materials list for each lesson helps students and parents plan the week in advance and budget time and resources. Assignment checklists in each lesson help students see at a glance what has already been completed and what still needs to be done. Comprehensive learning assessments are included at the end of each lesson to help parents document student progress, identify strengths and areas where more support is needed, and track learning over time.
Additional Materials Required:
The following materials are needed for this course and are included in the Grade 5 Package:
- 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
- The Story of Harriet Tubman: Freedom Train
- Ben & Me
- Buffalo Bird Girl: A Hidatsa Story
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond
- Children of the Wild West
- Early Thunder
- A Journey to the New World: The Diary of Remember Patience Whipple
- The Birchbark House
- Publisher: Oak Meadow, Inc.
- Version date: December 2021
- Pages: 416
- Binding: Spiral bound
- Product dimensions: 8.5 x 11 inches
- Item weight: 2.2 lbs