The following materials are included with the eight grade with pre-algebra package:
- Grade 8 Civics Coursebook
- Grade 8 English Coursebook
- Grade 8 Physical Science Coursebook
- Lab Investigations: Physical Science Lab Manual (Lab kit available separately)
- Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool Kit (Includes textbook, answer key, and practice test booklet). Worked out solutions manual sold separately
- Please note the Eighth Grade Civics, Science, and English Teacher Manuals are included in this Package.
- Strunk and White - The Elements of Style
- 100 Ways to Improve Your Composition and Creative Writing
- Oak Meadow blank journal
- The Giver
- A Wrinkle in Time
- Moon Over Manifest
- Criss Cross
- Baseball in April
Please note the Algebra 1/2 Solutions Manual, Physical Science lab kit and the compass/protractor set are NOT included in this package.
In English, students read a variety of classic novels while studying vocabulary drawn from the reading. Lesson work concentrates on grammar and composition skills. Weekly assignments in writing, grammar, and usage provide ample practice for the student preparing to enter high school.
The eighth grade social studies curriculum introduces students to the concepts of civics through a study of the champions of freedom, government systems, and economics. Students witness their local government in action, explore issues affecting their state, and become aware of national issues. This experiential approach to understanding social issues includes practical activities such as community service projects and interviewing local community leaders. Students are encouraged to learn how to make a difference on a local level by learning more about the people and businesses in their area.
The science curriculum focuses on the principles of physical science, including mass, matter, force, energy, sound, light, color, electricity, magnetism, and mechanics. In order to prepare students for more advanced science, emphasis is placed on using objective observation skills, incorporating scientific terminology when writing, and demonstrating careful methodology and data collection. Assignments require students to conduct experiments, perform mathematical calculations, analyze their findings, and support conclusions with evidence. Lab investigations (included in a separate lab manual) guide students in actively exploring concepts related to chemical reactions, forces and interactions, energy, waves, and engineering design.
The eighth grade math curriculum provides a choice of Pre-Algebra or Algebra I, using Saxon which is designed specifically to guide homeschoolers and independent learners. The pre-algebra course provides a solid foundation for learning to use algebra effectively. It also provides a developmentally-supportive transition between middle school math courses and high school math courses. Skills include decimals and percentages, equations with multiple variables, exponents and radicals, measuring area and volume of geometric figures, functions and graphing, and statistics and probability.
Projects, crafts, and activities include:
- Evaluate a Supreme Court ruling
- Participate in a community service project
- Interview a member of the fire department
- Write a science fiction story
- Create your own radio or television advertisement
- Research hybrid vehicles